Feast your eyes on these customized themes to bring to your patio or deck this summer!
Got a front porch with potential or a patio that could use some refining? Here, locally-based interior designer Angela Tyler offers three themes to choose from and the how-to’s for achieving each look.
[please place the following near the photo of Angela Tyler]
Local interior designer Angela Tyler is the principal and owner of Aragon Interior Designs. Formally educated in design, Tyler has been working as an interior designer since 2006, specializing in residential and small retail interiors.
- When creating a modern outdoor space you’ll want to incorporate strong modern colors and geometric shapes.
- Using black outdoor furniture is a great start in creating a sleek modern outdoor area.
- Try adding basic white outdoor upholstery to the furniture—it balances out the black wicker.
- Mix black and white pillows with pops of cobalt blue in geometric shapes (I also recommend plenty of lumbar pillows!)
- Add some fun greenery in modern pots to help complete this stylish look.
1. Almafi 7-piece Wicker Dining Set, Houzz.com, $800; 2. Black Caleb Lantern, PotteryBarn.com, $99 to $169; 3. Dash and Albert Diamond Black and Ivory Rug 8 x 11 ft., Houzz.com, $584; 4. Cobalt Blue Color Block Outdoor Pillow, Houzz.com, $40; 5.Birmingham Square Planter, PotteryBarn.com, $160; 6. Concrete Round Neo Planter, PotteryBarn.com, $209; 7. Carrington Sunbrella Outdoor Lumbar Pillows, Houzz.com, $58 for two
If you’re going for the feel of a rustic farmhouse, shop for muted patterns and reclaimed rustic-looking wood.
Incorporate a wire trellis with farmhouse string lights.
For color, look to white, gray, beige and hues of dusty blue.
- Create a dining area with an outdoor farmhouse dining table and rustic metal chairs. Enhance the ambience with an outdoor candle chandelier for above the dining table.
- To complete your charming rustic look, fill antique lanterns with white candles.
1. Metal Trellis, Etsy.com, $70; 2. Feit 10-Light Outdoor String Light Set, BedBathAndBeyond.com, $40; 3. Durum Candle Chandelier, GrandInRoad.com, $150; 4. Hinman Trestle Table, WayFair.com, $1,800; 5. Oregon dining chairs in bronze, Walmart.com, $120 for four; 6. Hand-woven Catamaran Rug in platinum & ivory 9 x 11 ft., WayFair.com, $584; 7. Better Homes and Gardens Farmhouse Multi Purpose Outdoor cart, Walmart.com, $145
- For a Mediterranean outdoor vibe, bring in oil-brushed bronze metal furniture or natural wood furniture.
- Add some lantern décor and throw pillows in the Mediterranean’s olive greens, sea blues and golden yellows.
- Incorporate hand-painted tiles in the flooring or walls of your space.
- A outdoor area rug in shades of aquatic blue pulls things together.
- Complete the scene by adding a rustic fire pit and a lantern outdoor chandelier.
1. Medelina Lattice Navy and Blue Outdoor Rug 8 x 10 ft., Houzz.com; 2. Urban Trends Hexagonal Lantern, HayNeedle.com, set of two for $6; 3. Golden outdoor pillow, HomeDepot.com, $26; 4. Olive green printed pillow, WilliamsSonoma.com, $40; 5. 12-Light Rust Hanging Lantern, HomeDepot.com, $240; 6. Hand Painted Mediterranean Tiles, HomeDepot.com, $11/each 12”x 12″; 7. Marina three-piece outdoor seating set, ShopFactoryDirect.com, $1,400