WHO: Susan Whatley
ABOUT: Retired Dental Office Manager, mother of three and grandmother of five
Have you always taken such great care of yourself?
I have always tried to do the best I could at taking care of myself—I’ve probably been working a little harder at it over the last ten years.
What keeps you motivated?
I stay motivated by setting goals for myself and challenging myself only! I am not competitive when it comes to others.
What are your tried & true methods?
Getting a good night’s rest and drinking plenty of water are key. I also buy organic whenever possible, limit sugar to natural sugars and do my best to stay away from high fructose corn syrup. Aside from that, I am always sure to get enough protein when working out so that my muscles have the proper fuel they need to not only build but recover. I also try to drink a smoothie once a day made out of coconut & almond milk, organic frozen berries and organic greens.
Advice to others?
Don’t expect perfection and don’t set unobtainable goals! At the end of the day, take deep breaths and a moment to appreciate the effort you made, whether it was to working out, walking or eating healthy—and look forward to the opportunities that tomorrow will bring. I don’t work out every day, but when I give myself the day off I know that I stayed active and accomplished other things that I needed to do, and tomorrow’s another opportunity to grow closer to achieving my goal.
Susan’s favorite products
- A daily dose of apple cider vinegar, Sprouts, $3
- Obagi Clenziderm, “I don’t know what I did without it—it has stopped my breakouts and makes my skin feel so good.” LovelySkin.com, $33
- Retin A
- Rodan + Fields Redefine Multi-Function Eye Cream, Available through Rodan + Fields sales consultants, RodanAndFields.com, $62
- Sunscreen with zinc. Try Elta MD Skincare UV Clear Broad Spectrum SPF 46, Amazon.com $32.50
- Biote hormone replacement pellets, Lone Tree Family Practice, 303.225.0025